Credencial de Peregrino: A pilgrim's passport.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Terradillos to Bercianos to Mansilla de las Mulas

I´ve had a hard two days. Alone, except for my thoughts and the blisters. It is odd what you think about while in pain. Actually, it´s hard to think about anything but the pain. The way around this train wreck for me has been talking to myself...out loud...in Spanish. It´s a bit like having a conversation with a child when you have to listen carefully to what they are saying to umderstand their meeting. It takes focus. The other tactic I resort to is singing to myself. Funny what songs come to your head when you´re in pain. For me, "Alison" by Elvis Costello, "Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", etc. Random stuff.

The scenery for the past few days has been along the freeway. To be honest, I don´t remember what I´ve seen. I´ve resorted to mantras and songs to get me through. Jeremiah 29:11 has been running through my mind for the past several days. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. This is a promise I claim for myself.

Tomorrow, I´ll be in Leon--a big city. Time for a resupply. I´m out of all sorts of essentials such as sunscreen, face soap, shampoo, blister treatment, etc. So far, I´ve been relying on the kindness of others to share their supplies with me. It is amazing how much we share here on the Camino. Today, I gave Zsolt my cream--don´t need it anymore, but he does. Yesterday, Paul gave me some sunscreen to get me through. I love this idea of taking only what you need, but giving away what you don´t. While in Leon, I´ll be meeting a new friend, Andrea for the first time. She´s coming all the way from Madrid to meet me, and she´s only 16 years old. Brave, strong girl. Looking forward to our time in Leon.

While walking alone has been great, I also have a friend meeting me in Sarria soon--about 9 days from now. I´m looking forward to this reunion. He is coming to walk with me to Santiago. I can´t think of a more appropriate way to enter the city and cathedral than with his presence.

As the pilgrims say, buen camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment