Credencial de Peregrino: A pilgrim's passport.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Villafranca to O´Cebreiro to Triacastela

I slept last night in O´Cebreiro. There was only one computer for the whole town with many pilgrims waiting to use it, so I opted to skip the blog.

Once we arrived in O´Cebreiro last night, we were officially in Galicia. Me encanta Galicia. It is beautful and green here with spectacular views.

The last few days have been fantastic. I´ve been traveling with a local from Navarra, Enric, who has written two guides in Spanish on the Camino Frances. It´s been a treat to be in the "know" about which paths to take, where to eat, etc. After losing his friend on the Camino, Enric has been very reflective, but seemingly happy to have me along for company. I think we were supposed to meet for this reason.

We have been walking a much slower pace than I was accustomed to in the beginning. The blisters slowed me down for a while, and then I slowed down to let them heal. Now that they are almost healed, I like being slower. Strange. What´s even stranger is Enric and I are walking in a very relaxed manner without hurrying while other pilgrims scurry by us, but somehow we arrive befor them. You see this alot with younger pilgrims who walk or run quickly, but then have to take a lot of breaks. We call ourselves ¨Las Tortugas", which means turtles in Spanish. I told Enric the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare--we had a good laugh about this.

I get many strange looks walking along in my shower shoes. For the past 10 days, I have been wearing plastics slides by Addidas. I feel I should write them a letter of thanks for helping me on my Camino.

In addition to the company, the weather has been fantastic through the mountains. Cold in the morning; but warm and sunny in the afternoon. Things seem to be as they should be at the moment. I feel happy. I read a quote by G.K. Chesterton, "Happiness is a mystery, like religion and should never be rationalized." I think he was right.

Tomorrow, I will meet Tim in Sarria. He will be walking with me all the way to Sarria. I´m looking forward to this new phase of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment